“Students built a profound sense of empathy as they got to know their pen pals better. The intergenerational connections they forged gave them a perspective that they may not have otherwise gotten. It was an authentic learning experience beyond what students could learn in a textbook.”
- Stacey Hopkins, Teacher (Pen Pals)
“This is the best thing I’ve ever done. I’ll never forget it! I haven’t had this much fun in a long time.”
- James, Student (Pen Pals)
"Residents enjoyed seeing children. We even had some residents that would only leave their rooms for this program.”
- Anna, Recreation Director (Pen Pals)
"I wouldn't have missed this for the world!"
- Daphne, Resident (By the Sea)
"That was some nice show earlier."
- Cole, Three Years Old (By the Sea)
"Those were the biggest smiles I've seen since I started working here three months ago!"
- Staff, Retirement Home (By the Sea)
“Thank you. This was so valuable to me. I was Cathy the teacher again, instead of Cathy the patient."
- Cathy, Resident (Pen Pals)
"I thought she (a resident) was going to fall on the floor laughing when you were caught in the net!"
- Fay, Recreation Director (By the Sea)